This appetizer sings summer, American summers. I have beautiful memories of watermelon and July 4th. The smell of fireworks and watching them at the beach. I miss you beach, a lot.
Watermelon, the cue for warmth after months of cooler weather. Refreshing, hydrating nectar married with salty, creamy feta cheese is oh so palatable. Bring this out as an appetizer or side for those days around the grill, sunshine filled glorious days.
My kids bedtime is flexible in summer because the winter will come and summer is about a lot of memory making. My three year old ate these watermelon feta bites and asked for more. Quite the sophisticated palate, that’s my boy. He also helped with the star cutting using these fruit, vegetable , cheese and cookie cutters. (affiliate link)
- 1 small or medium watermelon that has been refrigerated.
- ½ a block of good quality feta (ideally from Greece) refrigerated.
- fruit, vegetable , cheese and cookie cutters
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- Cut watermelon in half and then slice in uniform slices approximately half an inch in thickness. Once all slices are complete, place the larger star cutter on each slice and imprint to get the star shape. Gently push the back of the cutter to release the star shaped pieces of watermelon.
- Use the smaller star to cut out the feta pieces. It helps to dip the cutter into avocado oil before imprinting in the feta so dip before each star press. Do the same process as the watermelon but make the feta slices a quarter inch thick and use the avocado oil to dip before pressing into the feta.
- Match the number of watermelon stars to feta stars and sandwich together on a serving platter.