Hey you! This salad has been on repeat all summer long. I eat the last of the bowl EVERY time. Sometimes this is dinner and sometimes, it is a side. This taste of Mexican street fare can easily be thrown together when you’ve made the quinoa ahead of time and pulled out a ziploc from the stock pile in the freezer. I use ghee for the buttery taste that dances with the slightly browned corn.
I bought the Minimalist Kitchen cookbook recently and was super challenged to simplify and get a little more organized in my kitchen. I got rid of those little gadgets that I don’t actually use. Let me just say that OXO storage containers have brought so much sanity. I have never ever been one to spend a lot on storage solutions but this was well worth the investment space saving and organizing my dry ingredients. No more flour spills or wondering what flours I have on hand? No more overstocking. Happiness. Thanks for the inspiration Melissa at fauxmartha.com.
- 3 tbs of ghee
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 1.5 cups of cooked quinoa
- 1 tsp finely chopped jalapeno
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup of cilantro
- ¼ cup of cotija cheese
- juice of 1 lime
- 1-2 ripe avocados
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the ghee in a skillet over medium heat
- Add the corn and allow to cook until lightly brown
- Add the quinoa and stir to evenly combine.
- Add the jalapeno and stir in.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 mins before placing in a serving bowl
- Add the onion, cheese, cilantro and stir to combine
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Top with diced avocado