Meal prep is the BEST but only when you’ve done the prepping. Don’t we love simple? This is an opportunity to use up some veggies before they go bad. My mom asked me if this was bubble and squeak? Well it can be, but it’s not. Yes to chicken sausage, yes to one pack for the whole dish, so it’s budget friendly. Helpful after all the holiday spending. It’s veggie dense, goodness with whole grain rice, yip nutritious and super simple. Adding garlic and cilantro and a little lemon juice add some zip to this complete one pan dinner. If your family likes heat, chili flakes hit the spot. Just a tiny pinch will do.
This year we began the official journey of homeschooling with a community. If you’d asked me 10 years ago if I’d home school my kids, I would have looked at you and said no way! Meals like chicken sausage rice and veggie bowl make for easy evenings like Monday’s which are our busy days at our community. Did mention this is super kid friendly provided your kids have taken to mushrooms.
As I write this we have paper towel roll constructed towers that keep getting knocked down and a Dr Suess audio book playing. Half-sanity so I can get thoughts down. It’s pouring with rain but shortly we are walking to the library cause if we don’t get out, the wiggles will.
I love that my kids love books and I hope they love cooking just as much. I can share some reading lists or resources if any of you are interested. One reading related thing I found out about through this homeschool journey is Read Aloud Revival. It’s about reading and making meanifngful connections with your kids whilst reading. I just bought her book The Read-Aloud Family (affiliate link) and once I’m done reading I will give you the scoop.
- 1 tablespoon of avocado oil
- 1 small red or white onion
- 2 small garlic cloves minced
- 1 pack of chicken sausage
- 1 cup or 1 pack of quick brown rice, organic. I used the Trader Joe's microwave kind for speed or sometimes I use rice that I've cooked
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 zucchini cut into slices and then quarters or diced
- ½ cup Cilantro
- Juice of half a lemon
- ⅛ tsp chili flakes (optional)
- Put the avocado oil into a skillet on medium heat.
- Place the chicken sausage in the skillet and cook until slightly brown all around the sausage
- Once the sausage is cooked remove from the pan and place on a cutting board for cooling and then slice to bite sized pieces.
- In the meantime, place the onion into the pan and allow to cook for about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir in for 30 seconds.
- Add the red pepper and zucchini and cook for 5-7 minutes making sure the veggies soften but don't lose their crunch.
- Add the cooked brown rice and stir to combine
- Add the juice of the lemon and mix in with the veggies and rice.
- Add the sausages, cilantro and chili flakes (optional)
- Stir to combine and heat up the sausage.
- Place skillet on the table to serve (on a heatproof pad or trivet) or dish up into bowls.